Hindi Language Blog - Indian Recipes – Bhindi Do Pyaaza
Recipe Cook Time : 45 min (Cook time: 30 minutes and preparation time is 15 minutes)
2 large onions (प्याज – pyaaz) or about 4 medium onions, about 2 heaped cup sliced onions.
½ tsp turmeric powder (हल्दी – haldi).
1 tsp red chilly (लाल मिर्च – lal mirch) powder or add as required.
1 tsp dried mango powder (आमचूर – amchur) or juice from half fresh lemon.
1 tsp garam masala (गरम मसाला) powder.
3 to 3.5 tbsp oil (तेल – tel) or ghee (घी).
Salt (नमक – namak) as required.
- Firstly wash the bhindi in running water. Then wipe them with a kitchen napkin. Now chop the okra into half inch pieces. Slice the onions thinly.
- In a pan or wok, add ghee or oil. Then add the chopped bhindis. Saute them on a low to medium flame till the bhindis become slightly tender.
- Now add the sliced onions. Add all the dry masala powders except garam masala powder and amchur and mix well. Add salt too. Mix the bhindis well with the onions.
- Cook on a slow flame till the bhindi has become tender and cooked. Don’t overcook as the bhindis will get mushy.
- Lastly, add the garam masala powder and amchur. Amchur will give them little sour taste. You can use lemon juice (squeezing half lemon) instead of amchur powder.
- Mix the garam masala powder and amchur powder with the bhindi and onions.
- Serve Bhindi Do Pyaza with rotis or phulkas. It can also be served as a side dish
- Just before serving you could garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot with Roti (रोटी) or Naan (नान) or Basmati rice (चावल).