Recipe Cook Time : 40 min (Cook time: 30 minutes and preparation time is 10 minutes)
2 cups spinach (Palak) tightly packed (100 grams)
2 to 3 green chilies without seeds
¾ cup onions paste
½ cup tomatoes puree
¼ tsp dried fenugreek leaves (Kasuri Methi)
½ tsp coriander powder (optional)
¼ tsp cumin powder
¼ to ½ tsp garam masala
1 tsp garlic paste or ginger garlic paste
1 inch cinnamon stick
2 green cardamoms
⅛ tsp cumin (Jeera)
Oil or butter as needed
Salt as per taste
- Heat oil in a large pan.
- Add paneer cubes sauté over a medium heat until they turn golden brown (4-5 minutes).
- Keep the fried paneer cubes aside and now add green chilies, spinach and fry for just 2 to 3 mins on a medium heat. Spinach must wilt off thoroughly. Do not overcook. Set aside to cool.
- Grind spinach with green chilies to a smooth puree.
- Heat a pan with oil, add cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves and cumin, when they begin to splutter Add onions and fry till they turn transparent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell goes away.
- Add tomatoes and salt, fry till they turn mushy.
- Add dried fenugreek leaves, garam masala and coriander or cumin powder. Saute until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan.
- Pour half cup water and stir. Cook until the mixture thickens.
- Simmer the flame, add the pureed spinach. Mix well.
- Add paneer and mix.
- Serve palak paneer with naan, roti (Indian bread) or rice.